Applications for FC4

Ricardo Veguilla veguilla at hpcf.upr.edu
Mon Nov 15 09:07:14 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 07:48 +0000, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> On 11/14/2004 06:40:40 PM, joelbryan wrote:
>
> > - BitTorrent - I think there's reasons to include this.
>
> No there is not - for several reasons.
> It does not add any functionallity other than itself, nothing of real
> value to productivity etc. - those who want it can get it from Fedora
> Extras.

First, bittorrent's functionality itself IS reason enough for including
it in FC. Most linux distros (including Fedora) are using bittorrent as
distribution mechanism.

Second, since when is "real value to productivity" the deciding factor
for inclusion? I think there are too many precedents of included
packages that do not fill that criteria.

> It opens up a bunch of ports and acts as a server - for this reason, it
> is banned from many networks.

Then don't use it, or better yet, don't install it.

> Furthermore - the gui front end is nagware, it opens up a browser
> window asking you to send the guy money. While I'm sure that could
> easily be removed, it is kind of a big turn off.

use gnome-btdownload instead of bittorrent-gui

Regards,
--
Ricardo Veguilla <veguilla at hpcf.upr.edu>