HP Proliant ML330 Hard Disk Drivers.....

William Hewitt wphewitt at bpa.gov
Mon Nov 15 20:05:44 UTC 2004

I have an HP Proliant ML330 - fresh from the factory and low and behold,
they have swapped out standard IDE Controllers with some funky on-board
IDE RAID Controller (Ultra ATA IDE 100)  that apparently doesnt work
with anything but RHE or RH9 or RH8...... And even then, the
documentation is lacking......

Apparently, HP doesnt support anything but 2.4.x kernels.... and it
looks like no one has worked on these drivers for quite a while...
Linux doesnt detect these drives until you go through a rather
convoluted hack to get the drivers into the install boot system - so it
can see the drives - so it can install the software on those drives....

My only other alternative (so far) is to put in $29 PCI Bus Ultra IDE
Controllers and bypass the HP stuff... (Hey HP, do you guys follow this
list? Things like this make me less and less inclined to use HP.....) My
employers would rather not go the additional card route - so I am stuck
with lurking on this list trying to get some insight from someone who
has been successful with this configuration.... So far, no luck.....

So, if anyone has any experience with this configuration, could you
please drop me a line and give me some insight?

TIA

WPH