Minimal install (was: Re: Features for FC4)

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Tue Nov 16 03:01:50 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-13 at 08:04 -0500, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> Several people have been vocal... and in the past 2+ years several
> people have gotten excited by the idea, and then wandered off never to
> return with something other people can test.

Bullshit.

Every release since Red Hat Linux 9, I have carefully pruned the minimal
install down to a significantly smaller size while respecting every
bloody dependency and still keeping the system friendly for even a
newbie. Admittedly this is a chubbier "minimal" package list than the
"just-boot-the-box" crowd may want, but it's still on average 200MB
smaller than the distro's version.

Every time, I write a HOWTO on trimming the fat from the install. Every
time, about 500 people per month read the thing.

Every time, I try to offer feedback to the developers. I requested the
separation of vim-common (10MB!) from vim-minimal (450K), and I
requested the removal of rhpl's dependency on synaptics just now for FC3
(which will be patched later).

> Maybe I missed something,

No kidding. I see Satish already posted the interim URL to my latest doc
for FC3; check it again if you already read it as I just posted a more
recent version.

> but I haven't seen an alternative comps.xml file show up in the devel
> or test list for community to test.

I just found that file, for the first time in my life. No one ever
suggested it to me, and I can find no documentation for it. In the YEARS
that I have worked on this one subject, NOT ONE DAMN PERSON has ever
said "hey... go modify the comps.xml file". Check the archives, all I do
is publicly posted.

It's 8000 lines long for Chrissakes, and even if I'm sure I can
eventually parse it that's NOT the point. You want a comps.xml file?
Then bloody freaking make it clear to people who are NOT programmers how
to read and write the thing. Don't go mouthing off about no one doing
any work.

Frankly, I'm not only pissed at your attitude, I'm also disappointed by
it. Not the usual intelligent, productive, and useful commentary I
expect from you. Can you at least point me to a doc showing the
structure of that thing, so we get some value out of your contribution
to this thread?

*grmbl* *grmbl* *hiss*

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>