yum upgrade?

Pau Aliagas linuxnow at newtral.org
Thu Nov 18 09:38:15 UTC 2004

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004, seth vidal wrote:

> To upgrade via yum the short version goes like this:
>
> 1. backup all your data
> 2. upgrade yum to yum from fc3
> 3. upgrade fedora-release to fedora-release from fc3
> 4. make sure all your repositories point where you think they should
> point.
> 5. run yum list updates - just to make sure things seem sane and working
> 6. make sure you are NOT in X and X is not loaded
> 6. from a terminal prompt run: yum upgrade
> 7. wait wait wait
> 8. you must reboot before using your system again
> 9. reboot the system and make sure you select the new kernel, not the
> old one(s)
> 10. once your system is fully booted you may want to install some
> additional items. Recommended:
>  yum groupupdate "GNOME Desktop Environment"
>

> let me know what problems you encounter.

I've done this in my home computer, just to test it and repeat it in a
remote computer later, and everythingg updated ok, but I have a very
serious problem: the rpm database is empty. Only the newly installed rpms
appear.

I've tried rpm --rebuilddb and rpm --initdb to no luck.
I've just tried to make a CD update and, obviously, as there are no rpms,
it does nothing.

Any hint to recover this rpm database?

Thanks
Pau