how do i create a 'repodata' folder for a local yum repository ?

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Nov 22 16:02:15 UTC 2004

On Monday 22 November 2004 14:55, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> > Incidentally, I haven't understood how one keeps the metadata
> > on a local  repository up to date.
> > Is one meant to run createrepo repeatedly?
>
> Anytime you change the packages available in the repository...yes you
> have to run createrepo.  That's sort of the point... the metadata is
> an accurate representation of the packages available at that location.
> You make any changes to the list of packages in the repository and you
> regenerate the metadata.

Tbanks for the helpful suggestions.
I guess I thought "createrepo" doesn't sound like the right command
to keep a repo in sync.
Maybe it should be configrepo, or something like that.
Also "createrepo -h", which seems the only documentation for this command,
does not say anything about keeping a repo up-to-date.

> If you mirror another repository and mirror all its packages and its
> metadata, you don't have to do anything with createrepo...the
> mirroring process if you do it correctly...keeps the metadata and the
> package list in sync.

I guess it seems simplest to mirror the fedora-update repository locally.
But what exactly do I need from such a site?
Is there a script available which will collect the rpms
and any metadata required?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366