Evolution Mime Attachments.....

Ricardo Veguilla veguilla at hpcf.upr.edu
Tue Nov 23 08:58:50 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 09:04 +0100, Peter Boy wrote:
> Am Montag, den 22.11.2004, 20:54 -0500 schrieb Dan Williams:
> > There's going to be another redhat-menus package for FC3-updates
> > tomorrow, and a new build of OOo tomorrow that should fix the remaining
> > issues with OOo documents and Evolution/nautilus.
>
> Just another question about file types:
>
> If I inspect e.g /usr/share/applications/totem.desktop totem is
> registered for mp3 files, but actually isn't able to handle those files
> appropriately. Same is true for rhythmbox.desktop. Wouldn't it be
> appropriate to remove those file types?

In my opinion, no. Technically, these apps can play mp3 files with the
appropriate plugin installed. If totem or rhythmbox  aren't registered
as capable of handling mp3 files, the user may end up thinking that he
needs to install a whole new app just to play mp3s when he only needs to
install the mp3 plugin.

> Actually, if I edit those files and remove mp3, the programs still show
> up in other applications ("Open with", if I right-click on an mp3-file
> icon).

did you run update-desktop-database /usr/share/applications ?

> And just a question:
>
> If there are several programs which can handle e.g mp3 files, where can
> I specify, which is the default one (and is listed first in its context
> menue)?

If you mean system wide defaults (in other words, setting the default
without using "Properties->Open With") ... I don't know.

Regards,
--
Ricardo Veguilla <veguilla at hpcf.upr.edu>