/usr has vanished completely!

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Sun Nov 28 06:16:34 UTC 2004

On Sat, Nov 27, 2004 at 12:49:34AM +0000, Paul wrote:

> Latest initscripts are to blame. Drop back down a version and all
> returns to sanity, well, mostly all...

Previous version of initscripts is also broken even if consequences
are not so dire.

I did some investigations.  In /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit there are lines
which say:

# Enter mounted filesystems into /etc/mtab
mount -a -f

Put directly before that 'mount -a' (without quotes, of course).

This does not solve all troubles but at least makes a system
bootable (even if you will notice such "details" like possibly a
missing entry for '/' in /etc/mtab and that also means that '/' will
not show up in an output of 'df'; this can be fixed too but I do not
see a "one-liner").

  Michal