FC 3 issues

Mon Nov 29 22:00:42 UTC 2004

> On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 11:14:37 -0500 (EST), Noah Silva wrote:
> > 1. Vino doesn't get installed. (on 3 systems so far).
>
> Should you expect it to?
> My understanding is... upgrades are designed to give you something as
> close to what you had previously.. and not the equivlalent of a fresh
> doing the upgrade.  Perhaps there is a misunderstanding of what the
> installer's upgrade option is meant to do.

Well if the statement "Fedora 3 includes Remote Desktop" is true, then if
you can say "This computer has been upgraded to Fedora 3", onw will assume
that it will [by default] include remote desktop.  This is how it works
with most other systems.  Just like when Mandrake started advertizing
out of the box webcam support.  If someone bought and installed it over
their older mandrake version and then were told "oh well.. it doesn't
work on upgrades.", I think they would be perplexed.  Likewise with new
Windows or Mac features.  "XP now supports 'fast user switching' (new
installs only)."  Of course I could be wrong....

On the other hand, things that could significantly break existing software
or are technically infeasible are a different animal.  For example, I
fully understand why new FC3 installs use LVM, but upgrades don't try to
convert them the existing partitions.

> > 2. The new IME system UI (gimlet) doesn't get installed either, but the
> > the app isn't listed in the applet list as "Gimlet" but something like
> > "Imput Method Editor" (and the package name for yumisn't gimlet either).
>
> Again... im not sure its expected that an upgrade will install this.

I am.  If you had a working IME, and when you upgrade, you no longer have
working IME, that's a big problem!

> Perhaps the packaging needs to be adjusted to provide or conflict with
> the older langauge switcher package to ensure it is installed as a
> replacement to the older language switcher functionality.

I would certainly hope so.

> Do you know
> the name of the package in fc2 that was removed that provided similar
> functionality?

I have an FC2 system I can check, but I odn't have access to it atm. The
package name was similar IIRC.

> http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/i18n/iiimf-faq.html clearly states that
> applet will be listed as "InputMethod Switcher" in the applet list.

I am pretty sure that is where I was looking.  Perhaps that has been fixed
already.

> The package name is iiimf-gnome-im-switcher. 'yum provides gimlet'
> helped me find the package.  Perhaps the faq should be updated to
> mention the package by name for situations where the package needs to
> be installed. But from the looks of the faq, installation issues are

The FAQ was more for testing IIIMF, so I don't see it as a big deal.
People who are reading the FAQ are (were) installing beta software, so
presumably they are ready to deal with kinks and know about RPMs, etc.

I think breaking the IME on an upgrade is a big issue though.

> into the fedora-i18n-list mailinglist where the project leaders are
> more likely to read it.. or file a bug about the faq into bugzilla.

This is true, and a good idea.

thanks,
    Noah SILVA