Fatal udev error

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Fri Oct 1 13:50:16 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 03:46 -0400, TGS wrote:
> Just updated my system to the latest development as of 3 AM EST, and cannot
> boot.
>
> Error follows:
>
> Press 'I' to enter interactive startup.
>
> Making extra nodes: cp: cannot stat '/etc/udev/devices/*': No such file or
> directory
>                                                      [FAILED]
> Starting udev:                                       [  OK  ]
> Initializing hardware... storage network audio done [  OK  ]
> Configuring kernel parameters:
>
> then nothing, since it is frozen.

Well I can tell you that the error you see is OKAY, as I get that one
too. (stated directory is empty). please boot into linux rescue (or
another linux distro if you have one available on that machine) and post
the /var/log/dmesg.  You might also include info on your machine (CPU,
Chipset, GFX card etc.).

Scott
--
When in doubt -- Vote 'em out