[bugweek] Synaptics testing

Joel Rittvo JoelOnLinux at perfect-flight.com
Fri Oct 1 16:31:24 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 16:33 +0100, Paul Nasrat wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 10:48 -0400, Joel Rittvo wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 14:21 +0100, Paul Nasrat wrote:
> > > On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 15:20 +0200, D. Stolte wrote:
>

> > Background -- Dell Inspiron laptop with Synaptics touchpad.  Running
> > current rawhide, but from updating off FC2.  Not a new install.  Not
> > even an upgrade install.  Just doing up2date daily and accepting
> > anything it presented.  I have been running with the v13.5 Synaptics
> > driver for a while.
>
> Is that the rawhide driver? rpm -q synaptics

No.  I had grabbed the source from telia.com and built it a few months
ago.  I'm actually running their 13.4.  rpm -q synaptics says not
installed, which is correct.

> > I just added the import line, and then ran system-config-display --
> > reconfig.  Went out of X and then back.  My Synaptics touchpad has taps,
> > scrolls, pointer acceleration and everything else it used to have with
> > the Synaptics 13.5 driver module I had compiled from before.
>
> Indeed we now package and ship the synaptics driver from
> http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/

This is good news!  I will remove what I built, grab the rpm from
rawhide and install it instead.  And I'll try feeding my current options
into the new xorg.conf as well.  I assume that will take care of the
comments below . . .

> >  It is a
> > little jumpy for my taste and it has the edges set in too close to the
> > center, so dragging a window or highlighting a block of text starts into
> > too much uncontrolled scrolling before I get things where I want them.
>
> Yes, in the future I hope to get system-config-mouse to tune the
> parameters.  I also need to look at wacom tablet support.
>
> > But when I look at the new generated xorg.conf (see below), I see a Load
> > "synaptics" entry in the Module list.  What synaptics is it loading?
> > The one I installed?  Or is there one built in now?
>
> It's not built in it's an external module in the synaptics package, your
> Xorg.0.log should show the module load paths.  If you don't have our
> package installed you'll be loading your hand installed module.
>
> >  If it is the one I
> > installed, what happens to someone who has not installed this?
>
> It's part of the Base distribution, so isn't an issue for a new install.
> I'll need to test a fc2 -> fc3t3 upgrade too.  Worst case I can add a
> requires in to system-config-display.

For what it is worth, it was happy to use the version I had built on my
own, but it would be great if it could "hook" into starting the use of
the rpm version you have now, even if just by noting that such a thing
is now available.  This is the second or third nice new component I
would have missed (NetworkManager is another) by sticking to my "manual"
updating method if I wasn't getting info from this list.

Thank you for these improvements!

Joel