Zip drive not working

Tom Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Mon Oct 4 00:19:11 UTC 2004

On Sunday 03 October 2004 15:28, F. Kooman wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-10-03 at 21:02, Leon Stringer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > My internal Zip drive does not work with FC3t2. It worked on install
> > with FC2 so I guess it should with FC3?
> >
> > (Details below).
> >
> > Is this just a bug I should report somewhere? Is this working for anyone
> > else?
>
> A ZIP disk has a fat(32) partition at /dev/hdX4 by default which is a
> little strange, you can create an ext3 filesystem on them (even directly
> on /dev/hdX, without a partition table). If you try that it will most
> likely work. You can't access them in Windows after that of course.
>
> But I think it's a bug. HAL/udev? should detect the (fat) partitions on
> the disk after insertion, even if hdX1 through hdX3 don't exist, and
> work without a problem.
>
> François
> --
> See http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html

Why would udev be involved?  This is not a usb device!. In the first sentence
it stated "My internal Zip drive" and then the listing of the hwconf showed
it to be an IDE bus device and "desc: IOMEGA ZIP 250 ATAPI".  The hdx4 does
sound a bit odd though.

I have a similar device (Iomega ZIP 750 ATAPI) on the IDE bus and it shows up
as /dev/hdd (/mnt/zip) under FC3t2.

Tom

--
Tom Taylor
registered linux user #263467

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful - and so are we,"
"They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our
people - and neither do we." - George W. Bush, Aug 2004