FAQ, GNOME menus, first questions

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 5 11:33:14 UTC 2004

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> Hello, everyone:
>
> First time on this list (in fact, first time ever running a beta OS on
> my primary work computer, so bear with me). Nice to meet everyone.
>
> I'm running FC3-T2 on an IBM Thinkpad T23. Fairly frequent crashes in
> some apps, and my sound does not work (whereas it did in earlier FC
> releases and in RHL). Will make a more complete report soon, so I can
> start troubleshooting this stuff. For now, though...

Did you come from FC2, FC1 or from an RHL release. You probably already
experienced the alsa settings are minimum volume and minimum other
controls at boot.

If your latest FC release was FC1 and you never tried FC2 before, you
might need to open the volume-control to see what settings are there.
BTW - one of my notify developer's report related to sound.

> 	1. Where are the FAQ's for this list and the devel community? Save me
> some embarrassment and point me to the primary FM's to R, OK?
>
> 	2. How to edit the GNOME menus? I installed Sun StarOffice 7, which
> comes with neat little "*.desktop" files already. But where to put them
> so all menus for all users show them? (I'd like to put them in the
> "Office" category.)
>
> 	3. Why the switch to two panels? I now have one narrow panel at the top
> of the screen, and another one at the bottom. If I don't like it (and in
> the first 12 hours of use, I don't) can I easily switch back to having
> one panel at the bottom with everything on it? Or must I manually
> dismantle everything and rebuild it <groan>?

You can drag and drop items from one panel to the other. Then you can
remove the panel you do not desire.

I've always used two panels, one on top for apps, a lower for utilties,
clock, etc. I made a new account to test the default layout. I like the
new setup better than what I've used before with my setup.
I'll probably start fresh with my main account and customize from the
default.

> 	4. Is the "notify the developers" button after a crash useful to you
> all, or is it new functionality? I'll be happy to use it if it helps...
> should I?

I've used it and recieved feedback and resolutions for issues. It sends
reports via sendmail and local settings. If you cc a redhat address you
will get a bounceback reply from your local mail. Mail is accepted at
gnome.org with no problems.

> 	5. I cannot seem to get my Palm Tungsten T3 to sync via USB. In FC1/FC2
> (i.e. last week), "ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/pilot" used to work.
> Now, /dev/ttyUSB0 is created and destroyed dynamically and I'm not sure
> whether this affects my difficulty. Or must /dev/pilot have a specific
> owner and permissions? Any HOWTO for this?
>
> Thanks, and sorry if dropping several questions in one message causes an
> inconvenience. Usually I'd create a new thread for each one, but I must
> get some of these things corrected quickly.
>
> Cheers,

Welcome to the testing environment. It is a little bit different than
the fedora-list. I think most posting preferences are fairly the same.
Most questions are about the problems with test release candidates and
not as much about how to setup features.

Jim
"If I have trouble installing Linux, something is wrong. Very wrong."

	- Linus Torvalds