yum with FC3-test2

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Wed Oct 6 12:58:39 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 06 October 2004 09:24, Andrew Farris wrote:

> If you are using the default yum.conf included when you installed FC3t2
> do not complain about it failing.. it is KNOWN that the main redhat
> server (the only one configured by default) is incapable of supporting
> the entire FC community.  You will experience timeouts until you use a
> mirror.

Thanks for the excerpt from your yum.conf .

But would it not be better for the supplied yum.conf to suggest this itself?
Eg could the URL not contain a $repository set to redhat at the top,
with a suggestion that this should be replaced by a mirror?

Incidentally, the failure in my case did not seem to be due to a timeout,
but rather to the fact several of the rpms could not be found. (See below.)

I found the lack of documentation on yum in /usr/share/doc or man
rather disappointing, particularly since there have apparently been
a number of changes in the way yum works.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366