FAQ, GNOME menus, first questions

dataangel k04jg02 at kzoo.edu
Wed Oct 6 21:48:56 UTC 2004

Harald Hoyer wrote:

> Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 10:57 -0700, Michael Knepher wrote:
>>

>>> there's still no friendly way to edit the menus, and there probably
>>> won't be a GNOME-wide tool until 2.10, if not later.
>>>

>> That really is a shame, since not being able to edit the menus to add
>> stuff is one of the biggest complaints I hear from moderately-clueful
>> Windows users who would like to switch. Heck, it's one of *my* biggest
>> beefs and I've been using Linux for years...
>>

> What about using KDE? :-)

Why don't Gnome/KDE handle this the way windows does? The start menu is
just a normal folder, and the program groups are just normal folders,
with normal files inside of them. When you click start it just displays
them in a way that's different from when you normally open a folder.
This makes a lot more sense to me than wasting development time on a
menu designer.