[bugweek] Synaptics testing

John Richardson johntrichardson at charter.net
Fri Oct 8 05:30:59 UTC 2004

> I take it that you downloaded and installed the synaptics rpm from
> rawhide. Is this true?

Well, I just ran uptodate, but it looks like I have it:

$ rpm -qa | grep synap
synaptics-0.13.5-5

> I don't know if s-c-display does not try to configure the mouse, if the
> synaptics rpm is installed or not. I assume that it  would not try to
> add the driver, if synaptics is not installed.
>
> s-c-display worked for me to configure the driver, but failed for some
> apm interference and I am using acpi.

Well, I did get the following strangeness, which I figured wasn't
related:

# system-config-display --reconfig
* ddcprobe returned bogus values:
ID:   None
Name: None
HorizSync: None
VertSync:  None

Trying with card: ATI Radeon Mobility M6

> I went back to adding the  psmouse.proto=imps option within the
> grub.conf file. Are you still or have you ever used the
> psmouse.proto=imps option in the boot stanza?

I saw that option mentioned earlier, but I never modified grub.conf
(clean install of FC3T2 + uptodate).

> I ran the s-c-display while booted up w/o  psmouse.proto=imps added. If
> it is being used in grub.conf, this might be causing the problem.
>
> If none of those situations apply, a bug report hunt/submittal might be
> worthwhile.

I'll do that tomorrow if no else can find obvious mistakes I've made. :)
Obviously, I could set it up by hand, but the point of testing is to
give feedback, so I won't have to do it by hand next time too. :)

thanks,
John