New kernel 2.6.8-1.598 and Nvidia

Andrew Farris fedora at andrewfarris.com
Sat Oct 9 00:11:20 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 12:33 +0200, Lars wrote:
> a lot of people with kernel > 2.6.9-rc2-bk3
> had this problem i think.
> here http://ngc891.blogdns.net/index.php?2004/09/21/3-patched-nvidia-drivers
> is the patched one that should work ok.
>
> best
> lars

This does work with kernel-2.6.8-1.603 ( Rebase to 2.6.9-rc3-bk7 ) as
well, it is making a simple change to the driver source file 'nv.c' to
define the symbol __VMALLOC_RESERVE.  More info is around sources like
the gentoo forums and nvnews.net forums.  This is a dirty hack and
nvidia will have to change the way they interact with the kernel later,
till then we deal with it this way.  This method should continue to
work, but I think so far its unclear whether it will cause issues for
some systems.