New kernel, should be the default

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Sun Oct 10 07:15:45 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 19:16 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 18:39:24 +0200, Matias Féliciano wrote:
>
> > We can expect that new kernels are better (bug or security fix).
>
> We _hope_ that it's true, but we cannot rely on it, and certainly
> not enough to make a new kernel the default for everyone.

We have relied on it for *years* now. The new kernel has always been the
default (at least since up2date has existed). I appreciate the enormous
level of skill and involvement you have, but don't you "certainly not
enough to make [it] the default" me on this one!

A change was made, and it was not communicated (or I missed it). Was it
at least consulted among the devel community? Is this a "done deal"?
Because personally, I liked it better the other way. Boot the new kernel
by default, keep the old kernel around for safety.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>