yum man page fixes (was Re: up2date)

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sun Oct 10 22:31:17 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-10 at 15:27 -0700, camille zavala wrote:
> >Pretty sure Seth takes patches... to both code and documentation.
>
> I downloaded the SRPM thinking that I'd hack the sources, but I don't know
> Python so I'm useless there.
>
> Never mind, I can help with the documentation since I know troff.  I'm
> posting here so that if someone besides Seth knows the answer, you can
> answer and save Seth some time.
>
> What are all those zero-length characters doing in docs/yum.8 before the
> periods?  Usually \& appears only when the first character on the line is a
> dot.

They were generated with a program I used to make the man pages many
moons ago. Something called gtkman, I think. I don't think it is
maintained anymore.

> In the Synopsis command block, can I remove the deprecated "upgrade"
> command?  If it's truly deprecated we should remove its documentation, or at
> least move it down to the bottom of the list.  We also really should change
> that "*deprecated*" and its comment to be in italics.

You should join the yum-devel mailing list and ask these questions
there. There are two folks working on the docs there: Menno Smits and
Gijs Hollestelle who can you tell you what they've changed most
recently.

-sv