New kernel, should be the default

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Sun Oct 10 23:30:05 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-10 at 17:36 -0400, ne... wrote:
> In my case you are totally wrong. I want the kernel dl'd, installed
> but not defaulted to. When I reboot and determine that I like the
> kernel, I can make the necessary adjustments to grub myself.

In *your* case that is a perfectly reasonable point of view. However,
the question is not what works best for *you* or *me*, but rather what
we as a community believe is the best default behavior.

This default should take into account the preference of the majority of
users, the consequences of unintended behavior (if the new kernel is not
the default, most "GUI-only" users will forever use the first kernel
they had... if the new kernel *is* the default, a bad new kernel could
cause havoc), and the existing status quo (how are things done now, and
what is the standard way they have been done so far).

I understand your preference but believe that you are in a small
minority. I think the majority of users are "protected" enough by having
to specifically request that the kernel be updated instead of skipped,
and that the large majority either wants or needs the kernel to be
updated.

After all, up2date is not primarily a package *fetcher*, it's a package
*updater*.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>