New kernel, should be the default

ne... akabi at speakeasy.net
Mon Oct 11 10:12:04 UTC 2004

On Oct 10, 2004 at 17:30, Rodolfo J. Paiz in a soothing rage wrote:

>On Sun, 2004-10-10 at 17:36 -0400, ne... wrote:
>> In my case you are totally wrong. I want the kernel dl'd, installed
>> but not defaulted to. When I reboot and determine that I like the
>> kernel, I can make the necessary adjustments to grub myself.
>>

>In *your* case that is a perfectly reasonable point of view. However,
>the question is not what works best for *you* or *me*, but rather what
>we as a community believe is the best default behavior.
Then that is most definitely to use what is known to work, ie
the old kernel. And as part of this community, I am making my
voice heard (-:

>This default should take into account the preference of the majority of
>users, the consequences of unintended behavior (if the new kernel is not
>the default, most "GUI-only" users will forever use the first kernel
>they had... if the new kernel *is* the default, a bad new kernel could
>cause havoc), and the existing status quo (how are things done now, and
>what is the standard way they have been done so far).
The default should simply be what was booted last and have
the new kernel clearly marked so a user can choose it if
they so please. But choosing the last booted kernel as the
default, the machine can be booted to a known state. The
user can then choose to change this at their pleasure.

>I understand your preference but believe that you are in a small
>minority. I think the majority of users are "protected" enough by having
>to specifically request that the kernel be updated instead of skipped,
>and that the large majority either wants or needs the kernel to be
>updated.
You naturally have the figures to back this up?

>After all, up2date is not primarily a package *fetcher*, it's a package
>*updater*.
Sure. It can update my grub.conf by adding an entry for the new
kernel but leave my default alone.

N.Emile...
Most people are too busy to have time for anything important.
06:00:08  up 104 days, 23:14,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00