New kernel, should be the default (see also hiddenmenu).

Tom Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 12 00:34:54 UTC 2004

On Sun, Oct 10, 2004 at 05:36:05PM -0400, ne... wrote:
> On Oct 10, 2004 at 11:21, Scott Talbot in a soothing rage wrote:
>
> >seems to me that those who don't want the kernel defaulted, probably
> >wouldn't want it downloaded either and could, therefore, make use of the
> >(yum) --exclude=kernel option or up2date's packages to skip feature.
> >That way we each get what we want.
> In my case you are totally wrong. I want the kernel dl'd, installed
> but not defaulted to. When I reboot and determine that I like the
> kernel, I can make the necessary adjustments to grub myself.

Then I suspect  you are in a group that should be watching
the grub directive:

    hiddenmenu

I have mixed opinions about which kernel should boot (new and unknown
or known).  I do have an opinion that the menu should not be hidden.

A hidden menu makes the presence of a new kernel 'invisible'.
This has impact in that "users" will not see that there
is a new or older safety net kernel.

They will also not see a long list of disk space hogs
that eventually should be tidied up.

The FC3test3 clean install default is "hiddenmenu".

Later,
mitch

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l