Stupied network - Why can't it be friendly?

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Oct 12 15:43:23 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 17:28 +0200, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
> Just wonder: if i and my laptop are in a network which has a wlan, and i
> connect the ethernet-cable: will it bond wlan and ethernet together,
> switch to ethernet (change the routing tables?) or what will it do?

By design, NetworkManager will keep only *ONE* connection/interface up
at any time.  It prefers ethernet to wireless, so when you are plug in,
it deactivates the wireless card and activates the ethernet.  When you
unplug, it deactivates the ethernet and activates the wireless card.

So, best case scenario is that you unplug, and 10s later you are
connected to a wireless network and can browse the web, then you go back
and plug in and 10s later you can browse the web again, all without
_any_ manual intervention.  Or, you could have a VPN connection brought
up each time you switch locations, etc.  You get the picture :)

NetworkManager is mostly for the laptop use-case where people are
switching between locations/networks with some frequency.  If you want
to have two connections up at the same time, NetworkManager is not for
you (yet).

Dan