Smaller /boot?

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Wed Oct 13 16:56:24 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 21:29 -0400, Paul Iadonisi wrote:
>   Regardless...given that it's hard to even *find* a disk these days
> less than 36GB, I hardly think 100MB is a big deal.  Still, I wouldn't
> be opposed to reducing it a bit.
>   Yes, yes, I know, older systems people may want to put FC on may have
> smaller disks.  But IIRC, the recommended RAM for FC2 was what, 196MB?
> Kind of makes those older systems more like doorstops these days.  So
> sad.  I think Alan Cox was working on (or helping with) a trimmed down
> version back in the RHL days for older systems, but I don't know the
> status of that.

I don't know what Alan may have worked on, but there is an ongoing
project called RULE (Run Up2date Linux Everywhere) which was able to
provide (via a custom installer) normal Red Hat Linux 9 installs into
486 boxes with as little as 8MB of RAM. RULE is now working on updating
its installer for Fedora Core 2 and/or 3.

RULE also works on additional things, such as a lighter version of
Abiword for machines that simply cannot run OpenOffice well. They're a
small project but a good one: http://www.rule-project.org.

In Central America, I do see people with older boxes who set /boot to
100MB thinking the OS knows its needs, but they only have 1GB space
total so now they have 90MB free in /boot, and only 50MB free in /.

If there are no major objections, I'll file an RFE against Anaconda for
FC3 suggesting that it should recommend 50 MB, and only warn the user
when the proposed /boot partition is less than 30MB. That should still
leave lots of space for even 64-bit stuff, but will make users with
lower-end hardware feel significantly less uneasy about their new Linux
installation.

Anyone not OK with that?

Cheers,

--