Option for installing Mozilla ?

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Wed Oct 13 21:15:35 UTC 2004

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 10:28:05PM +0300, Markku Kolkka wrote:
> Kyrre Ness Sjobak kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika keskiviikko,
> 13. lokakuuta 2004 22:15):
> > Do you have a htmlview icon?
>
> No, because htmlview is completely useless. It just tries to
> start the nonexistent epiphany browser, then tells me to "please
> reconfigure" without telling how to actually do that.

$ file /usr/bin/htmlview
/usr/bin/htmlview: Bourne-Again shell script text executable

Ah, ok.  So lets have a look:

<quote>
# If DISPLAY is set and gnome-open exists, mimic gnome-open behavior to launch
# preferred browser.  Due to MIME associations, gnome-open cannot be directly
# called to view files from htmlview because it will go into an infinite loop.
# text/html associated with htmlview runs mimic_gnome_open, which Just Works.
# (Otherwise fallback to old htmlview behavior.)
#
#   ~/.htmlviewrc and /etc/htmlview.conf.
#   Users may define the TEXTBROWSER variable to
#   indicate their preference for old htmlview.
#
#   /usr/bin/gnome-default-applications-properties
#   Please use the Preferred Application chooser
#   for all other configuration options.
</quote>

In other words, if you did not set your preferred browser, which you
can do without starting your Gnome desktop but with a help of
'gconftool-2' if so desired, then use ~/.htmlviewrc and/or
/etc/htmlview.conf where you can set things like X11BROWSERS_ ....
(if this "fallback" mentioned in comments is used).

In particular it looks like that you are tripping 'sanity-check'
function in this script.  What you are getting from
'gconftool-2 -g /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/http/command'?

Yes, I would prefer to have a somewhat better control over that too;
but this was obviously done for a benefit of those loath to read.

Hm, it looks like that if /usr/bin/gconftool-2 executable is present
then you will not get a fallback behaviour no matter what.  This
seems nasty to me (not that this so hard to adjust on your own
system even if is says "# WARNING: Deprecated Script" :-).

   Michal