USB thumb drive question... SELinux .. on or off?

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 14 01:42:34 UTC 2004

Jerone Young wrote:
> One bug today.... another bug tommorow. Average users could care less
> about SELinux, so why have it on, if it's just going to cause
> potential issues for average users.
>

> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:40:50 -0400, Colin Walters <walters at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 14:00 -0500, Jerone Young wrote:
>>
>>>You know this is why SELiux needs to be off by default. It is just a
>>>headache for average users that is not needed. For those who want
>>>SELinux (myself being one) we know how to cut it one.
>>
>>It was just a bug.  Software has bugs.  We make test releases to find
>>the bugs and fix them.

SELinux is pretty much out of the way for most processes. Since another
linux distribution had their website cracked recently, it is a good idea
to head off potential attacks before they become a common problem with
Linux systems.

If a user wants to disable this feature. The feature is easily disabled
using system-config-securitylevel or during the initial installation
choices.

This choice might be prompted sort of like the "this is a beta release",
and an install anyway prompt. Maybe a prompt stating "SELinux is a
security feature that helps protect your system" and a choice for
enabling or disabling SELinux.

my view,

Jim