NetworkManagerInfo not finding rt2400 Wireless PCMCIA (wh is active)

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Fri Oct 15 00:23:01 UTC 2004

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, Amitabha Roy wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> Thanks! Moreover,  I am associating with non-ssid broadcast (but
> non-encrypted)  wireless networks which NetworkManager
> does not yet support (I hope it will in the near future, cause I might
> switch to a wireless PC card).   Are there any plans
> to include support  for this ( and  associate with  a non-ssid network
> based on prior history of user choice) ?

Support for this is already in CVS and will be released with
NetworkManager 0.3 which should go out tonight and be rawhide by tomorrow.

In this situation, the behavior of NetworkManager will be that you must
explicitly connect to a non-broadcasting network each time.  Your WEP key
will be stored so you shouldn't need to enter it, but NM won't connect to
these networks on-the-fly since, of course, it can't see them.

In the future, if NM finds no suitable networks to connect to (since all
the networks in the allowed network list are not seen by the scan) but
there are blank-ESSID networks, it could try looping over the allowed AP
list and brute-force the network.  With your orinoco card though, even
though it doesn't scan the pseudo-scan routine will brute-force networks
you've allowed (by clicking on them in the wireless applet) so you
shouldn't have a problem ATM.

Dan