Intel I8xx video problem

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 16 19:27:21 UTC 2004

Mike Lurk wrote:
> In addition to my last email the Xorg-X11 release that worked the best
> was Xorg-X11 6.8.1-4. With the addition of the line in xorg.config (as
> in the previous email). Everything worked properly. I found out it was
> Xorg that was killing X not the kernel. Right now I am running kernel
> 2.6.8-1.624 and everything is ok, openGL is a little slow but that is
> about it.
>
> Mike

Just as another point of data, I am running xorg-x11-6.8.1-6 and
reverted to kernel-2.6.8-1.541 and am using 1280x1024 @ 24bpp. I have no
options inserted in the xorg.conf (All NoAccel and the individualized
parameters are commented out).
Also, this problem appeared to me before upgrading X. I believe the -607
kernel worked with the older versions of X. It did not work after
upgrading xorg-x11 though.
Basically, both X and the kernel seem to have some interaction.

Jim

---------------------------------
most recent xorg-x11 changes:
  Add xorg-x11-6.8.1-disable-dri-option.patch, which adds XF86Free-DRI
   to the list of extensions that can be disabled using the -extension
   command line switch.

* Wed Oct 06 2004 Mike A. Harris <mharris at redhat.com> 6.8.1-5

- Added xorg-x11-6.8.1-vidmode-change-verbosity.patch which changes the
   default verbosity level of Xvidmode extension debugging log messages
in the X server from "1" to "> DEFAULT_XF86VIDMODE_VERBOSITY" which is
set to 3.  This fixes a power consumption problem on laptops running on
battery power, where when a screensaver kicks in and calls
xf86GetVidMode(), the X server generates excessive log messages which
cause the hard disk to spin  up if it was in powersave mode, thus
reducing the battery life.  Since the currently logged messages are
pretty useless generally speaking, this fixes the problem by increasing
the verbosity level required before the messages end up in the log file.
(#128305)

* Tue Oct 05 2004 Mike A. Harris <mharris at redhat.com>

- Added post/postun scripts to the deprecated-libs subpackage, copied
versions of those in the libs subpackage (#134424)

For the kernel, the refresh problem seemed to start at the below point.
I can't say for sure, since some of the kernels were reported to have
problems to the list, before I booted into them.
If it was not that point where the problem surfaced, itmight have been
somewhere in the config option diddling. :-)

* Mon Sep 06 2004 Arjan van de Ven <arjanv at redhat.com>

- disable online resize again
- hopefully fix Quake3 interaction with execshield
- add Alan's borken-bios-IRQ workaround patch

* Sat Sep 04 2004 Arjan van de Ven <arjanv at redhat.com>