/etc/fstab Lacks Mount Point For Floppy

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Oct 18 18:58:00 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 12:04 -0600, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 11:33:11AM -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> >
> > As I've already tried to explain, mount(1) wants the 'pamconsole',
> > 'user' and possibly 'users' option before the 'exec' option because the
> > way that the mount(1) program works is that "This option implies the
> > options noexec, nosuid, and nodev ...
>
> Ah, yes, you are right and I am an idiot.  I forgot that 'user'
> implies 'noexec,nosuid,nodev'.  But in such case why fstab-sync
> starts generated lines with 'exec'  to be immediately overriden?

This is indeed a bug a filed to myself today (#136191).

> I think that is what messed me up here.
>
> Does 'fstab-sync' pays any attention to an order of entries in its
> configuration files (*.fdi) and how this relates to an order of
> options in /etc/fstab?  'man fstab' does not seem to mention any
> guarantees in that respect.

Yeah, the files and directories in /usr/share/hal/fdi/ are processed in
alphabetical order and merged onto hal device objects - this is why
default policy goes in 90defaultpolicy and user policy in 95userpolicy.

You may use either lshal or hal-device-manager (from the hal-gnome
package) to inspect the properties on each hal device object.

Cheers,
David