today's updates- boot a little slower

Per Bjornsson perbj at stanford.edu
Thu Oct 21 21:05:39 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 13:22, Neal D. Becker wrote:
> Booted up my athlon after today's updates OK.  One thing, it hangs a few
> seconds at "starting udev".  I believe this was intentional to fix some
> race conditions.  However, adding to the boot time is a step in the wrong
> direction.  I hope it can eventually be improved.

Actually it was on the order of half a minute or so on my old K6-2 500
notebook, that was more than just noticeable. I didn't time it precisely
but I was starting to wonder if the boot had just hung. Is there any way
to find out what udev is waiting for? It would really be nice to speed
this up.

/Per

--
Per Bjornsson <perbj at stanford.edu>
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Applied Physics, Stanford University