Problem with Rawhide Kernels > 610

Alex Ackerman alex at darkhonor.com
Fri Oct 22 20:46:34 UTC 2004

I am having a problem booting my Rawhide system after the latest round of updates. The system will not boot beyond "Configuring kernel parameters: ".  I booted with a LiveCD to check the log files to see if there was any info there, but the problem is occuring prior to the syslog facility coming up. SELinux is operational using the strict policy.  I changed /boot/grub/grub.conf to set selinux to permissive mode to see what errors popped up.  4 messages come up:

avc: denied { use } for pid=7333 exe=/sbin/minilogd path=/init dev=rootfs ino=19 scontext=system_u:system_r:syslogd_t tcontext=system_u:system_r:kernel_t tclass=fd
avc: denied { read } for pid=7333 exe=/sbin/minilogd path=/init dev=rootfs ino=19 scontext=system_u:system_r:syslogd_t tcontext=system_u:system_r:root_t tclass=fd
avc: denied { read } for pid=7337 exe=/bin/dmesg name=ld.so.cache dev=hda3 ino=2431750 scontext=system_u:system_r:dmesg_t tcontext=root:object_r:etc_t tclass=file
avc: denied { getattr } for pid=7337 exe=/bin/dmesg name=ld.so.cache dev=hda3 ino=2431750 scontext=system_u:system_r:dmesg_t tcontext=root:object_r:etc_t tclass=file

The system is an HP Pavillion zt3200. Unfortunately, I am unable to reboot the system since I got rid of the last working kernel (548)--I had forgotten that 610 didn't work either.  I haven't found anything on this list, so I'm figuring it was a bad mkinitrd run or something like that.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated (especially those that involve saving the system without rebuilding ;)

Alex Ackerman
http://www.darkhonor.com

I just found out I still have the rpm for 2.6.8-1.521 available on the system if it is possible to install it to my system via the Gentoo LiveCD that I have.  I also can get any other LiveCD dist if it's publically downloadable.  Any chances for a Fedora-based one?