Very Bad Thing: system-config-network horribly broken

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Oct 23 14:34:34 UTC 2004

On Friday 22 October 2004 22:46, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

> Basically, this is how it works. You have two devices (ferinstance):
> eth0 and wlan0.

The problem arises in my case if I have 2 profiles
with the _same_ physical device -
which I imagine is the most common case,
using the same WiFi card in different locations.

Ok, so I make two copies of the eth0 device
(following the advice in the Help "manual"),
say eth0_home and eth0_away.

I have one default "Common" profille,
and I create a second "College" profile.

I tick eth0_home on the Common profile,
and untick eth0 and eth0_away.

I tick eth0_away on the College profile,
and untick the others.

According to System Settings=>Network,
the active profile is Common.
I run "sudo service network restart"
and everything works fine at home.

Now I go into college.
I go to System Tools=>Network Device Control
choose the College Profile and click on Activate.
According to the screen, the active Profile is "College", but it says that
"the interfaces configured in the active Profile are: eth0_home",
which is _not_ what I want.

If I now go to System Settings=>Network
it says the active Profile is College,
but it has changed the College settings
so that eth0_home is ticked but not eth0_away.

When I run "sudo service network restart"
it says it is bringing up eth_home
(while it should of course be bringing up eth0_away).
It has however changed /etc/resolv.conf correctly.

In brief, the program is a mess.
I haven't looked into it, but I would guess
there is some kind of error with hard or symbolic links.

It seems to me that what the program is trying to do
is very simple.
In fact I used to have a couple of short scripts, home.sh and college.sh,
which did what is required.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366