yum error message

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Tue Oct 26 21:20:09 UTC 2004

Why do I get the error message
 Error: missing dep: redhat-menus for pkg evolution
when I run "yum update".
I can avoid it by "yum --exclude evolution update"
but I'd still like to now what one is meant to do.

I find yum very useful,
but I really think its error messages should be thought through.
The other day my link to the network was down,
but instead of a message saying something like
"Cannot access repository xyz"
I got a python error message about a problem in line n of python file y.

The best error messages suggest possible remedial action.
The next best tell you exactly what is wrong, eg in this case something like
"Cannot find file redhat-menus-xyz required by package evolution",
if that is indeed the error.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366