No sound on FC2 to FC3T3 update... artsd going nuts

Kim Lux (Mr.) lux at diesel-research.com
Wed Oct 27 16:05:23 UTC 2004

$ system-config-soundcard
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 23 [74%] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 23 [74%] [on]
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/system-config-soundcard/sound-sample.wav' :
Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
Warning: rate is not accurate (requested = 44100Hz, got = 48000Hz)
         please, try the plug plugin (-Dplug:hw:0,0)
aplay: pcm_write:1115: write error: Input/output error

Here I am running system-config-soundcard with system sound disabled in
controlcenter.  I can fix the 44.1khz problem if I enable sound in
controlcenter, but then artsd goes nuts.

BTW: I don't have alsaconfig installed on my machine, not that I can
find.  Google archives talk about it.  I looked in the changelog and it
appears to have been removed from later alsa versions.  Am I correct on
this ?