ntfs kernel module

Dan Hollis goemon at anime.net
Wed Oct 27 18:18:45 UTC 2004

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> ah, now i see.  just to clarify, does *all* filesystem access
> (including NTFS) go thru the VFS?  or are there some filesystems that
> differ sufficiently from the VFS model that they provide their own ...
> access implementations? (not sure that's the best way to phrase it,
> but i'm sure you know what i mean.)

XFS had a translation layer (perhaps still do) to interface their irix
code to the kernel. I dont know if they bypassed VFS or if they did their
own thing. But they had serious corruption issues for a very long time.
And still have design flaws which prevent me from using XFS in production
(the inability to fsck a read-only mounted fs being one of them).

-Dan