Netapplet

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Wed Oct 27 22:24:17 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 18:11 -0400, Peter Jones wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 11:02 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
>
> > There is an argument for having a menu item "open config info" that
> > launches system-config-network if you have static IP configuration for a
> > card, but the fact of static IP is that you aren't supposed to change it
> > that often.  So if you don't change it that often, why have an entry for
> > it in the menu?  When we get dialup support, there might be an argument
> > for having a configure item for those, however.
>
> How do you handle the chance that I might regularly use wireless on two
> networks, with a (different) static IP on each?

Do you control the networks in question?  If so, it's actually quite
easy to configure the DHCP server to assign static IP addresses for
particular MAC addresses.  That way you get all the benefits of DHCP
(not having to manually configure individual computers with e.g.
nameservers) with all the benefits of static addressing.