Missing menu items after upgrade

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Thu Oct 28 01:03:57 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 01:39 +0100, D. D. Brierton wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 01:21, Colin Walters wrote:
>
> > > Emacs seems to be suffering from the same problem. It is missing from
> > > the 'programming' menu.
> > > setting NoDisplay=true to false in
> > > /usr/share/applications/gnu-emacs.desktop
> > > gets it back in the menu.
> >
> > This is deliberate.  We want Emacs as part of the default installation
> > for all of us Emacs weenies, but Emacs is not a typical end user
> > application, so it shouldn't be in the menu.
>
> What? Not even in the PROGRAMMING Menu?

We don't want a Programming menu in the default installation.

>  Are we going to remove that menu
> as well?

No, if you install devhelp, etc it appears.

> This strikes me as a really bad idea. I absolutely agree with
> the trend Red Hat and GNOME have been taking of late, but this strikes
> me as a step too far. Either a user chooses a typical desktop install,
> in which case Emacs, Mozilla and others aren't installed,

Maybe you could make the argument that emacs shouldn't be in the default
install.  Dunno.  It would be one of the first things I'd install
personally.

>  or they are
> installed and are in the menu. How can users discover some of the
> wonderful applications that are bundled with FC if they don't even know
> they are there?

I don't think there are very many people who haven't heard of Emacs
before that would actually take the time to learn and use it from just
clicking it in the menu.