Should Fedora rpms be signed?

Ian Pilcher i.pilcher at comcast.net
Fri Oct 29 14:44:25 UTC 2004

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> Can rawhide packages be automatically signed... of course
> Does autosigning help the intended, well informed, audience of the
> rawhide packages... yes
> Does autosigning hurt the unintended, un-informed or mis-informed
> audience... i think it does.

So you're suggesting that the use of signed packages should be limited
by some "least common denominator" of ignorant users?  I suspect that
if you broadly adopt that principle, you won't be real happy with the
results.

Clearly, there is no political benefit to expediting the admission of
legal immigrants into the United States.  Nevertheless, I believe that
our elected officials have an obligation to do more than simply pander
to the thinly veiled racism of their constituents.
                                                              Ian Pilcher