FC3rc5

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl3 at iadonisi.to
Fri Oct 29 22:54:03 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 18:37, Kim Lux wrote:
> To me, "support" means that when I ask for advice and tell someone that
> my installation was an upgrade they don't laugh at me and tell me to
> uninstall and reinstall fresh.  That is a Windows concept, not the sort
> of attitude we can have with servers and workstation machines.

  Completely unfair comparison.  Since when has *any* OS vendor
supported upgrades from *test* release to official releases?  Please
name them, and provide pointers to some statistics on how well it worked
in practice.
  Microsoft is guilty of a lot, but if you are saying that Windows betas
or release candidates would not allow upgrades to official releases is
something they should be blamed for, then I have to wonder how much
exposure you've had to operating system development.  In other words,
just because you had to do something undesirable in the Windows world,
doesn't mean it's a Windows specific occurrence.  In this particular
case, it's just the nature of operating system development, FLOSS or
proprietary.

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator