RC5: Dependencies everywhere!

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Sun Oct 31 02:12:22 UTC 2004

Hey:

I seem to have some trouble burning recent Fedora CD's; I wonder if this
is a holdover from that kernel thing recently. I can get them to burn
well, but only at 2x whereas I've burned on this machine at 8x for over
two years now.

Installing my old test box (PPro/200, 64MB, 4GB) with FC1 booting from
floppy, then using GRUB to boot into the FC3-RC5 install and doing an
FTP install from a server on the LAN worked well. No hitches. Since I am
only doing a minimal install on this box right now, there are many
things which I cannot really test yet.

	1. What happened to isdn4k-utils? Used to be around 3.5MB, now
installed it takes up over 9MB. Package size hasn't changed much, so I
don't understand what happened.

	2. Why does rhpl require the synaptics driver? I would like to get rid
of all the graphical stuff on the minimal install, but rhpl requires
synaptics and a whole bunch of stuff requires rhpl. So in order to lose
some GUI packages, I have to lose up2date! And unless I lose up2date, I
have to keep about 20MB of stuff I don't need on a minimal install. Can
this dependency be eliminated somehow? Please?

	3. Despite having *not* selected "Printing" packages during the
install, cups and a bunch of stuff is pulled in since it depends on
fontconfig, which depends on xorg-x11-libs, which needs synaptics, which
again needs rhpl which needs up2date. There is a *LOT* of stuff here
which cannot be deleted easily, and I don't understand why these
dependencies are there. Why, to delete cups, do I end up having to
delete up2date again?

	4. If anyone just happens to have the chance to save me from a
reinstall on this old box, could I get the output from a "df" command
and a "rpm -qa | wc -l" command immediately after first booting a
minimal install? I forgot to write that data down for the HOWTO, and I'm
going to need it. If no one happens to get it, then I'll have to
reinstall this box just to be sure.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>