Problem with today's "yum update"

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 14:40:05 UTC 2004

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 09:31:00 -0500, Mike Klinke <lsomike at futzin.com> wrote:
> received the error:
>
> #yum update
> Resolving Dependencies
> Error: xorg-x11-font-utils conflicts:  xorg-x11-base-fonts<=
> 6.7.99.903-3
>
> and after excluding "xorg-x11" the "yum update" then completed. I
> presume that simply excluding "xorg-x11" would have allowed the yum
> update with yesterday's version to complete.  Hope this helps
> someone else and I'm off to file a bug against "xorg-x11" if it
> hasn't already been done.

You are confusing things that are going on to some extent.
There first thing you saw with the traceback was a real error in yum
2.1.2,  which yum 2.1.3 should fix.

The  conflict error you see is a REAL packaging conflict between the
old version of xorg you had installed and the new version of xorg in
rawhide. Its a packaging conflict because the items in the xorg
packages have been restructured in the new rawhide version.

instead of excluding that xorg package, try  yum --obsoletes update
the new xorg packages uses the rpm concept of "obsoleting" to handle
the problem of restructuring of package payloads.

-jef