Problem with today's "yum update"

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 19:22:56 UTC 2004

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 14:43:25 -0400, Robert L Cochran
<bobtest at lingpgmr.com> wrote:
> How do I deal with this error as a result of running
>
> 'yum -y --obsoletes update':
>
> Transaction Check Error: package katana-1.0.4-4 is already installed

How do you deal with it?
First... stop using -y  option so you can review the list of packages
that yum wants to install/upgrade.
<soapbox>
I think its unwise for anyone using development packages to be using
the -y option and skipping the package list reviewing phase. If you
are using test releases and development packages you need to be very
aware of what you are installing, so you have a hope of narrowing down
problems when not if they occur.
</soapbox>

Second... yum seems to be saying that katana package is already
installed. Is it?
Is the version of katana installed older than the version yum wants to install?

-jef