last 541 kernel damages fileystem .. starting fresh FC3T2 candidate.

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 5 12:23:06 UTC 2004

Colin Charles wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-09-05 at 14:42, Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>>Since I booted up using the latest kernel and ended up with a lot of
>>file errors related to inodes, I'll be installing fresh.
>

> What errors are you noticing? Seems to be fine here, on my ppc box

It booted up and had a lot of messages flashing by on the screen. I was
running SELinux targeted and enforcing.
After the initial boot. I tried to start X as a reqular user. This got
the monitor to switch to graphics, but you could not ping the machine
from another box or ssh into the computer.

After a hard reset, there were many file errors relating to inodes. Then
I was able to fsck and correct many inode errors and boot into a terminal.

I then suspecting SELinux needing relabeling, ran fixfiles relabel in a
tty. I then rebooted and X locked hard again (541).

Trying to fsck again, then boot into an earlier kernel that was working
fine also had many errors relating to inodes and even lost + found. At
this point, I just decided to boot into another installation and
reformat the test installation and mount it to download the test
candidate into the newly created and large partition (7 gig)

>>I noticed that my download time for the release candidate is scheduled
>>to complete around noon tomorrow at current dl speed. Are there any
>>torrents going or is there an alternate ftp server with the release
>>candidate?
>

> Don't think so, but you know there'll definitely be a torrent for FC3t2
> when that gets released at the usual torrent location

It looks like the http transfer has slowed down to 14 KB/sec. This makes
completion to be around 4PM. I guess I'll wait for it to complete.

It's great that the ppc rawhide version is still working great.

Jim