Shared Libraries corrupt after rawhide update

Ernest L. Williams Jr. ernesto at ornl.gov
Sun Sep 5 11:57:44 UTC 2004

Hi,

After the rawhide update yesterday, I used my system for about an hour or two.
The last thing I did was lock the screen.

Now next morning, I launch up2date and get an error:
/usr/lib/rpmio-4.3.so is not an ELF file

I thought maybe this was limited to up2date or rpm, however, it worse.

If I type "ls", I get:
ls: relocation error: /lib/i686/librt.so.1: symbol __librt_multiple_threads, \
version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference.

The next thing I did which was probably a huge mistake!!  I ran ldconfig,
oops:

ldconfig reports some bad things like so:
ldconfig:/lib/tls/librt.so.1 is not an ELF file - it has the wrong magic bytes
at the start.

The above happens with 541 or 533 kernel.

Has anyone else seen this?   Is there a way arounf this avoiding a fresh
install?

--
Ernest L. Williams Jr.
SNS Control Systems Group