make yum.conf do a user ftp login for baseurl

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Sun Sep 5 16:56:47 UTC 2004

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Tom Diehl <tdiehl at rogueind.com> writes:
>
> > On Sat, 4 Sep 2004, Harry Putnam wrote:
> >
> >> How can I get yum to do a user type ftp login for the baseurl?
> >> It will need username and password at some point.
>
> Tom wrote:
> > How about something like this: ftp://username:your_passwd@ftp.yoursite.com/$releasever
>
> That might work if the ftp server was a real IP on the internet but
> addresses like ftp://... don't seem to work inside my non resolvalbe
> lan.

Even if you do not have a nameserver running, if you have entries in /etc/hosts this
should work. Something else sounds weird here.

> ftp will find reader.local.net0 but not ftp://reader.local.net0
>
> I wonder if there is a way to work a HERE document or something into
> the syntax?

Not that I know of but one thing I do here is setup autofs to allow things
like "cd /machinename/yumrepo" to work. That way you avoid the use of ftp on
the internal network. No passwds etc. nfs and autofs are trivial to setup these
days. Just mount them read only. Yum works very well in this configuration.

HTH,

Tom