Strang df -h output

Mike Klinke lsomike at futzin.com
Sun Sep 5 18:07:05 UTC 2004

On Sunday 05 September 2004 12:12, Satish Balay wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Sep 2004, Ricardo Veguilla wrote:
> > >
> > > hehe... have you seen anything like the `-64Z' I posted.
> >
> > I was getting a -16Z but I didn't noticed until earlier today.
>
> FWIW I've also seen wierd numbers for /boot partition (du -sk was
> fine - but df showed 101% full or something like that). I noticed
> this after the boot issues with module-tools (and reverting back
> to 533)
>
> I've repartitioned this disk since then - and did a fresh install
> off boo.iso/rawhide - which is working fine with kernel-541
>
> Satish

My first indication was on Sep 1 when I received this:

/dev/hda1 (/boot) is 101% full -- -16Z of 99M used, 104M remain

This was immediately after having updated FC3T1 with with a large
batch of new packages including the dev-3.9.2-1.i386.rpm and
kernel-2.6.8-1.538.i686.rpm packages, both of which proved unusable
on my machine (and may be simply a co-incidence).  Since my
configuration is a dual boot between FC3T1 and FC1, which share a
common boot partition, the fact that I receive the above message in
FC1 tells me it's not a problem with the "df" utility but rather
something that's gotten hosed in the disk's partition information
because of something that happened during or after the FC3T1
update.

Regards, Mike Klinke