make yum.conf do a user ftp login for baseurl

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Mon Sep 6 03:30:09 UTC 2004

Tom Diehl <tdiehl at rogueind.com> writes:

>> If I put a symlink to fedraw in /var/www/html then:
>>  http://reader.local.net0/fedraw
>>
>> Works fine and hits my repo.
>>
>> So it appears this problem occurs only with authenticating type urls.
>> And maybe even only when using ftp.
>
> Hummm, just a guess but try using ftp:// path. You get a 404 with http
> because it is not in the document root of the web server. The symlink fixes
> that. The web browser knows what to do with ftp:// type url's. BTW: yum will
> follow symlinks just fine also. I have numerous local repos symlinked
> together.

Yup using ftp:// and the authenticating url blazes right thru using
mozilla.  I guess that means it is a bug in yum... yes?

I have this same issue posed on the yum list, so maybe someone there
will know about what the urlgrabber thingy in yum is supposed to do
with a url like that.  I think your test is sort of indicative though.

Just an aside here.  I new earlier today I had gotten to those
directories with mozilla and an authenticating url, but when I went
back to try it again I forgot it had been by using an ftp url as
you suggest, so for a while here I was starting to get that `I know
I'm not crazy' syndrome when I couldn't get it to work again.