yumming up down to for loop

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Mon Sep 6 17:31:42 UTC 2004

seth vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu> writes:

>> I'm using a for loop with:
>>     yum -y update $pkg
>> and slowly getting quite a few updated.  Since the repo is on my
>> internal lan its not costing too much bandwidth but still, someway to
>> save that reparse on each loop would really speed it up.
>
> What problem is it that makes you put them all in a loop?

Delt with below, but do you have an idea as to the subject of my
post.  Or just redirect to some other subject?

> You shouldn't need to do that.
>
> yum update should be working just fine in 2.1.3.

I used a number of exclusions and other tricks to do an update.  All
failed with various problems involving xorg-x11 stuff (fonts)
And ended with errors.  One of which I posted under message-id:
There were numerous others of that nature and then a series of
`can't solve dependancy' endings involving xorg stuff.

The for loop is a hack yes.  Should not be necessary yes...
But I got updated that way when other (more normal) attempts
failed.  I bailed myself out that way in the past too.  Using yum and
up2date.  Seems like cutting down the scale helps either app do its
job.

This morning a straight update worked just fine.  I had only one
package to update:

  xorg-x11-font-utils

Somehow it involved 18 packages to update it since it involved a
number of obsoletes etc.

 `yum --obsoletes xorg-x11-font-utils' worked as expected

Prior to updating 99% of what needed it with my for loop
 `yum --obsoletes update'
would fail.  Even with various excludes I've lost track of now.