OpenOffice i18n is 790MB on disk

Scott Talbot talbotscott at cox.net
Wed Sep 8 01:21:26 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 09:01 -0700, John Reiser wrote:
> While test installing FC3-re0903.0-i386, I noticed that
> openoffice.org-i18n-1.1.2-3.i386.rpm is 125MB on CD-ROM
> or 790MB on disk, which is about 1/4 of the total 3007MB
> disk space required for a Workstation install.  Thus it is
> the leading option to delete in order to conserve space
> using a custom install.  Supposedly US English still works
> without this package.  (And it would be nice if there were
> an option to select just a few of the dozens of languages
> included in i18n.)
>
> --
> John Reiser, jreiser at BitWagon.com

Has anyone tried deleting the openoffice.org-i18n-1.1.2-3 rpm?  I would
expect that it would not be updated anymore as it's not on the system.
Unfortunately this would only work for US-Eng users, but I'd bet it
wouldn't be too hard to make rpm's or even tarballs of the other
languages.  Maybe someone could talk livna or Dag into putting them on
their servers?  Even better OOorg themselves could be made to see the
light?

Scott
--
When in doubt -- Vote 'Em out!