Crazy question regarding refresh and X

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 12 15:04:42 UTC 2004

Mike Klinke wrote:
> Ha!
>
> I spoke a little too soon it seems.  After having got the box into
> the 16 bit/DRI=no mode freeze-up I rebooted into FC1 (dual boot
> machine with FC3T1) and while there I copied the 24 bit xorg
> configuration for the FC3T1 back to the proper xorg.conf file in
> anticipation of booting back into FC3T1.  When I did, what a
> surprise that was! There in all its ugly glory was the all the
> terrible refresh problems you've been describing. I'm guessing that
> my playing put the graphics controller into a rather unhappy state.
> Thankfully re-configuring the display back to "Thousands of Colors"
> reset everything on the next boot.
>
> I'm guessing that one of the problems that you are having is that
> for some reason you cannot get your box into the 16 bit/DRI=yes
> mode.
>
> Regards, Mike Klinke

Quite an ugly picture. I doubt that this performance would bring anyone
over to xorg-x11.
Thanks for the tests relating to dri. I use screen resolution 1280 x
1024 which is max for the monitor type that I am using. This resolution
setting might have soething to do with no DRI.
The 16 depth and this fair resolution seem to be the culprets.

I'm happy with 24 depth and 1280 x 1024 resolution. I can live without
the DRI for now.

I read the info i810 documentation and saw the mention of 16 depth for
DRI being a maximum setting for the 815 card.

I'm glad you noticed the depth being different between the 2 xorg.conf
files posted. So no DRI at 16 depth seems to be bad for performance of
the X server.

Jim
--
You will be honored for contributing your time and skill to a worthy cause.