Smashing my head against the Wall - Hanging Kernel Booting

Dwaine Garden DwaineGarden at rogers.com
Sat Sep 18 05:00:34 UTC 2004

I just yumed against the latest version of the development tree.  As of
the 17th.

I'm having a problem booting with a compiled version of the standard
kernel from kernel.org.
It's 2.6.8.1.

After the initialization of the usb stuff.  The cpu goes full steam and
the machine just sits there.   I did not have any problem with compiling
a kernel before.  So I though I have something wrong with my grub.conf.

Just to let you know, kernel 2.6.8-1.541 boots fine.   But since I do
development work with the usbvision driver.  I use the base kernel from
kernel.org.

What am I missing?  I did turn off the SCSI stuff, because I thought it
was the problem.   There is no indication that there is a problem.  Just
stops booting and the cursor sits there.

Thanks...
Dwaine.

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,1)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda3
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=1
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Fedora Core (2.6.8.1)
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /linux-2.6.8.1 ro root=/dev/hda3 rhgb quiet
title Fedora Core (2.6.8-1.541)
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.8-1.541 ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
    initrd /initrd-2.6.8-1.541.img